Wow, 2021 is almost at an end and who would have thought this year would end up being as tough as it did. 12 months ago, everything looked like it was turning a corner with the promise of life returning back to “normal”. But 2021 threw us all a curve ball- so we think that many people would like to send off 2021 with a big goodbye.
Which brings us to the topic of end of year celebrations which won’t undo all your hard-earned gains. For those of you who aren’t aware, we are based in Melbourne and have the dubious honour of having been crowned the most locked down city in the world during Covid. It’s not surprising that when things started opening up here in November (and a little earlier in NSW) that people really let their hair down. Pubs, clubs and restaurants were all the rage again there was not a single cauliflower to been seen. We’ve spoken to many of our dear customers who, by early December, had a sense of having overdone it and looking to get back to basics so that they can usher in 2022 without saying hello to a new notch on the belt.
So, whether you’re planning a big family Christmas celebration, a raging new year party or just a quiet chilled holiday period, we’ve got some great tips to see you through in style… low carb style that is!
This point cannot be stressed enough. We’ve all heard that old saying “failing to prepare is preparing to fail”… this is spot on during the silly season. If you’re hosting parties, make sure you have lots of low carb options available (we’ve got you covered with a list down below so no sweat). Having been perfected over the years, some low carb foods and drinks are so good your friends and family won’t even realise that they’re low carb or sugar free. Same applies if you’re going to a party and are asked to bring something to share.
If you’ve had the discipline to maintain IF, we solute you. And if you normally eat in the evenings, you might want to consider shifting your hours to be able to accommodate that Christmas lunch(es) or other significant gatherings.
Remember, a calorie is still a calorie. Portion control is a very simple concept… but sometimes seems so tough to stick to during this time.
The prep list
Sure, we all overdo it a bit with booze at this time of year. There are a number of great low carb beers readily accessible at most liquor stores. Pure Blonde and Burleigh Brew Co Big Head are great examples of light crisp lager style beers with little (Pure Blond) or no (Big Head) carbs. There are stacks of other low carb beers on the market but these are some of our personal favourites.
Looking at enjoying a cocktail mixer? You can do that too without the sugar. Vital Zing Water Drops are delicious sugar-free flavour and sweetener drops that will be your best friend in making amazing cocktails, punches and seltzers. Just remember to consume responsibly.
Sure, there will be lots of corn chips and dips at the get-togethers, but you can still enjoy all that with delicious low carb options.
- Meaty treats: Barbell Air Dried steak is a protein rich meaty snack made from organic grass-fed beef.
- Chips: Whether you love potato chips or nachos, we’ve got great low carb options for you such as Wholesome Provisions BBQ chips or Quest Nacho Cheese chips. Delicious.
- Cheesy goodies: Popped cheese is a filling and nutritious snack. Made with premium Tasmanian Cheese, Amazeballs are always a crowd pleaser.
Cakes, cookies, puddings, jellies and chocolates are all within reach this year. Here are some of our go-to favs at home:
- Cakes: 180 Cakes Bake Mix, Nush ready to eat cakes, The Monday Food Co cake mix (vanilla is Jack’s favourite)
- Cookies: Hands down 2 brands stick out for us as moreish, delicious and very keto-friendly: Essentially Keto and Keto Bites.
- Puddings and jellies: The Simply Delish range offers no shortage of flavour options to keep your tastebuds happy. Plus people would believe you they are low carb.
- Chocolates: We certainly could finish off this list without the crown favourite Vitawerx range… your party guests will love the choc coated macadamias and almonds.
Easy-peasy right? Not really, but good prep certainly helps navigating this joyous period easier.
The entire team at Low Carb would like to wish you a very healthy and happy end to 2021, a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.