Low Carb Pad Thai
Kelp Noodle Pad Thai - Low Carb and Delicious!
Recipe and photo by nutritionist Liv Kaplan
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
This is my version of everyone’s favourite Thai takeaway, but without the MSG hangover.
This recipe is low-carb, vegan and absolutely packed with flavour, and trust me when I say you MUST make it. I’ve used kelp noodles here which are made from seaweed, and unlike rice noodles, won’t give you a massive carbohydrate load to the system, and also happen to be a great source of iodine! I’ve also topped it with pili nuts which are a fabulous high fat nut which offers the perfect crunch.
Ingredients for low carb Pad Thai
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 red onion
1 pack kelp noodles
2–3 heads bok choy, slice in half lengthways and washed
2 carrots, spiralised or finely chopped
3 tbsp activated pili nuts
½ bunch mint, chopped
½ bunch coriander, chopped
3 tbsp almond butter
1 lime, juiced
2 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp fish sauce or fysh sauce*
2 cloves garlic
4 spring onions, chopped
½ chilli, fresh, chopped (optional)
- Prepare the noodles by plunging in a large bowl of room temperature water. Leave to sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and sauté red onion until fragrant and translucent. Pour in the sauce and leave to cook until fragrant and beginning to caramelize, about 2 mins.
- Drain the noodles and rinse. Add into the pan and toss until heated through and coated in the sauce. Transfer to plates.
- Place the bok choy, cut side down onto the pan to brown slightly, about 2 minutes. Add to the plates with the spiralised or finely chopped carrot. Top with pili nuts, coriander and mint.
*I use Red Boat fish sauce, or to keep it vegan use Fysh Sauce by Niu Life (made from coconut aminos). I’ve used both in this recipe and they taste great!
Checkout more great recipes by Liv